句型[…two…: one…, (and) the other…]/[…two…: one…, (and) another…]
1. there are two books on the table: one is chinese and the other, english.
2. every time you breathe, you breathe two different breaths. you take in one and give out another.
3. there are three balls. one is black and the others are white.
句型[…one (thing)…, (and/but)… another…]
1. it is one thing to flourish and another to fight. 2. to say is one thing, but to do is another.
3. it is one thing to learn, and another to teach. 4. to know is one thing, to practise is another
句型[on (the) one hand, …and on the other (hand)…]
1. on the one hand, i am your teacher, and on the other, i am also your comrade and friend.
2. they have been blamed on one hand and lauded on the other.
3. on the one hand, you shouldn't be shy, on the other hand, you mustn't forget your manners.
4. on the one hand, there must be great enthusiasm in work, and on the other, labor must be alternated with rest.
句型[… two (both)…, the one… (and) the other或the former… (and) the latter或the first… (and) the second或that (those)… (and) this (these)…]
1. i have two brothers, paul and richard; the one (the former) is fifteen and the other (the latter) is eleven.
2. accuracy and expressiveness are the two requisites in translation; the one (the first) is to express the exact thought of the original article and the other (the second) is to make the translation readily understood.
3. to die or to yield? i prefer the former alternative to the latter.
4. in his lecture he dwelt especially upon ah q and kong i-ji, pointing out that the second as well as the first was a type.
5. work and play are both necessary to health, this (the latter) gives us rest, and that (the former) gives us energy.
6. they keep horses and cattle, those for riding, and these for food.
[注] 如果连举三件事物或人，然后加以说明时，可用152句型的扩充式： "… three, one (the one)… another (the other/ the second)… a third (the third)…"。如：
1. there are three people. one is a worker, another is a peasant, and a third is a soldier.
2. once upon a time there lived three people: the one was deaf, the other (second) was blind, and the third was lame.
1. some say yes, and some say no. 2. some like to play football, others are fond of basketball.
3. everyone of us has an engine, i.e. the brain, some people can use it, and some people cannot.
4. after we finish school, some of us will enter the universities to study, some of us will work in the factories; some of us will go to the countryside, and some of us will be soldiers in the army.
5. some are playing games under a big tree. some are dancing in a ring. others are rowing on the lake, and still others are singing on the playground.
1) "… part of 名词…, the rest (of 名词) 如： the graduates of our school number two hundred and thirty, part of whom are studying on while the rest (remainder) are going to the countryside or entering factories.
2) "…part … part …" 如： at home, i often speak a sentence part in chinese part in english.
3) "… half … half …" 如：this alloy is half copper half silver.
句型[… first, …, second, …, third, …, lastly, …][… one, …, two, …, three, …, four, …]
[… first (firstly), …, secondly, …, thirdly, …, lastly, …]
1. tom brown is well known in this city. (first) he has been a member of the city council for many years. secondly, and far more importantly, he is a football player of national reputation.
2. first, i wish both of you good health. second, i wish both of you success in your work; and third, i wish both of you good luck in everything.
3. what do we need in order to really win? we need three things: first-arms, second-arms, third-arms and arms again.
句型 [first / at first / first of all…, soon/afterwards …, then / later / lately…, finally / eventually / at last…]
1. first think, (and) then speak. 2. at first you may find it hard, but it will soon become easy.
3. i think this first day of our vacation is going to be very enjoyable for us. we'll probably first play a game of tennis. afterwards we'll take a shower. then we'll do some sun-bathing on the beach. eventually, we'll take a walk into town.
4. first he goes to paris, then he goes to brussels, then he makes up his mind to go to paris again, and then finally decides to come home.
5. first, the senses are to be set to work; then, memory; and., at last, understanding and judgment.
句型[to begin with / at the beginning…, next / secondly / the second point …, furthermore / moreover …, finally /the final point / and to conclude …]
1. to begin with, he is too young; secondly, he has not finished his studies.
2. they cannot agree. to begin with, they quarrel. next, they call each other names. finally, they fight each other with their spears. 3. at the beginning he showed some reluctance, but finally consented.
4. taking the picture is mainly a question of speed, first in selecting the subject, next in focusing the camera, furthermore, in taking the actual picture and finally in handing out the card.
[注] 这种常见的呼应承接方式：1) 开头用语： to begin with, we may say that… i want to begin by saying…
the first thing i want to say… at first i want to say…
2) 中间承接用语： next, beg to point out that… the next point i must make is… another thing is: …
there still another thing: … i want to make one more point…
3) 结束用语： i will sum up by saying… i will conclude by saying… the final point is…
the final thing i want to say is this…
句型[… the same 名词 as / that 从句]
1. this is the same bag as(相似)/ that (同一) i lost yesterday.
2. is this the same as you showed me before? 3. i am of the same opinion as you (are of the opinion).
4. he is of about the same age as you (are of the age).
5. this is the same (=very) man that i met the other day.
6. a good book may be among the best of friends. it is the same today that it always was, and it will never change.
7. this is but an expression of revisionism, the same revisionism that lenin fought.
[注] 本句型中as有时可以当that用， 如： we drove out of the town by the same road as we had entered by.
如果the same表示"同一"时，后接with 名词， 如：i came in the same bus with him.
they are in the same class with us.
句型[… such… 名词 as 名词或从句]
1. there is no such place as you dream of in all this world. 2. i like such fine city as beijing.
3. this was such a mere platitude as almost to go without saying.
4. nowhere in the world is there such a place for an idle man as london.
5. the waves were such as i never saw before.
6. "… we can't believe you. there is no such country in the world as the one you have told us about…."
[注] 本句型中as不可以用that, which或who取代。如: (错) do not talk about such things that/which you do not understand. 应说： do not talk about such things as you do not understand. 或do not talk about those things that/which you do not understand.
句型[… one/ he; those/ they who(定语从句)]
1. he laughs best who laughs last. 2. he who would search for pearls must dive below.
3. they who are full of themselves are very empty.
4. there is no royal road to science, and only those who do not dread the fatiguing climb of its steep paths have a chance of gaining its luminous summits.
5. those who understand this formula hold up their hands.
句型[…all who/ that(定语从句)]
1. i remembered that all who took part in the evening dance for joy.
2. all whom i saw here were diligent at their work. 3. all is well that ends well
4. all that he does, he does it well.
5. all that you do, do with your might, things done by halves are never done right.
[注] 英语中有专用以指物的句式，如： it is that that (多用which) i need. those that succeed are mostly correct.
句型[a person等 who定语从句]
1. man who has a settled purpose will surely succeed.
2. do not blame the one who speaks but heed what you hear
3. a person who meets with difficulties may ask his comrades for help.
4. people who are liberals look upon the principles of marxism as abstract dogma.
5. a person who does not do his duty will not succeed.
6. people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
[注] 以上句型都含有"条件"意味，不过不能在句子前加if，不然就用条件从句来表示, 如: (错) if a person who does not do his duty will not succeed. 应说: if a person does not do his duty, he will not succeed.
句型[…the day/time… when(定语从句)]
1. i shall never forget the day when i entered the university.
2. the time will come after all when we are victorious.
3. the day will come when history will speak.
4. he had seen the day when there were no motorcars on the roads.
5. gone forever are the days when the imperialists could do as they pleased in asia, africa and latin america.
句型[…not only/ not enough/ not merely… also/ but also (too) / but…(as well ) … ]
1. i not only heard it, but (also) i saw it. = i not only heard it, i saw it, too (as well). = i not only heard it, but saw it as well.
2. we've come a long way to your country not only to give performances, but, what's more important, to promote mutual understanding between us.
3. it is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are accountable.
4. if your friend reminds you kindly of your faults, take what he says not merely pleasantly but thankfully.
5. it is necessary for us to learn from the veteran workers not enough their skill but also their noble revolutionary spirit and good proletarian qualities.
(误)he not only speaks english, but also french. (正)he speaks not only english, but also french.
not only the children but also their father is in the town. not only the man but (also) his children are in the town.
[注3] so far from [不…而…] so far from the rain doing any good, it did a good deal of harm.
句型[…名词a as well as 名词b]/ […名词b and 名词 a as well]
1. he as well as you is very diligent.
2. you as well as he are very diligent.(cf. not only you but also he is very diligent.)
3. these pills are good to prevent disease, as well as to cure when one is sick.
4. the child is lively as well as healthy. 5. they learn french as well as english.
[注1] 注意 as well as 用在肯定句中与否定句中的含义不同，如：
he, as well as his sister, has joined the party. he, as well as his sister, has not yet joined the party.
he has not yet joined the party as well as his sister. (他还没有像他姐姐那样入了党。)
[注2] 如果连接的成分较多，还可以将句型166，167结合起来用， 如： this project not only has come into full play in irrigation, but also played an important part in developing water power, navigation and fishery as well as in providing industrial water supply.
句型[…both a (名词) and b (名词)…][…at once a (名词) and b (名词)…]
1. both my wife and mrs. baker are very fond of music and both play the piano very well.
2. the book is alike (=both) agreeable and instructive. 3. he has both ability and principle.
4. dickens' language, at once rich, colorful and varied, is like a fine and sensitive musical instrument.
5. a child is a responsibility both to its parents and to society.
1. neither you nor he is to blame. 2. mary was neither happy, nor was she sad.
3. how nice the weather is! it is neither hot nor cold.
4. i neither expressed surprise at this resolution nor attempted to dissuade her from it.
1) "…neither a, bnor c…" 如：they spare nothing, neither their labor, their wealth nor even their lives.
2) "…neither a, b nor c, nor d…" 如：neither you nor i nor anybody else has seen it.
[注2] 诗歌中的 "nor…nor…"= "neither…nor…" 如：nor heaven nor earth have been at peace tonight.
1. please either come in or go out, don't stand there in the doorway.
2. either i will find a way, or i will make one. 3. it's not to be forgotten or forgiven either.
4. in fact, the poor people in england are given the alternative, either to die of hunger quickly outside the workhouse, or to die of hunger slowly inside it.
[注] 本句型可用于否定句, 但句型166，168不用于否定句, 如: (误) he not only doesn't fear hardships, but also not fear death. (不用于否定句) (误) he doesn't fear both hardship and death. (误) he fears not neither hardship, nor death. (正) he fears neither hardship nor death. he doesn't fear either hardship or death